Friday, May 12, 2006

Parent worries....

Called my mum last night for our usual weekly chat. I knew it was coming. "Your Dad is ok but...." I hate the way she does it. I know she's trying to soften the blow but for about 10 seconds my mind goes daft. I always snap at her telling her to get to the point. I feel terrible for it but I wish she wouldn't beat about the bush.

Anyway, the short of it was that Dad was nearly stabbed at work. He's a prison officer at Scotland's most dangerous prison and they feel that at the age of 54, my Dad should be fighting with animals. It makes me so angry. Sure, they'll give him an easier job but they'll cut his wages and his pension for it. That's the thanks he gets for 20 odd years of service.

Mum said Dad was pretty shaken up (no wonder) and one of the blokes he works with was nearly stabbed in the eye. Apparently the creature who did it is "too dangerous to be in a mental hospital". So, it's obviously ok for him to try to kill and injure prison officers then?! I thought in mental hospitals they could at least restrain and sedate him until the day he dies!

It makes me sick to the pit of my stomach. This country needs to take a long hard look at itself. Prisoners seem to have more rights than the people who risk their lives to keep them under control. It seems that some animal who has killed others has more rights than people who have worked hard all their lives and lived within the law.

My Dad only has 9 months until he retires. I pray to every God I can think of that he makes it through this time. All I can think of just now is that I might not have someone to give me away if I get married or my kids not having a grandad (Dad would be a brilliant grandparent). It just seems so wrong and screwed up.

4 Comments:

Blogger Artygal/Lalheg said...

Hugs, hugs, hugs. I lost my dad when I was in my early 20s, so I've had to go through all of those things you worried about. Hopefully you never will, but remember that we survive all and find new ways of doing things

12:10 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

Sharon - that's awful!. :o Your poor Dad. :( Well done him on being one of the good guys.

He's survived this far and the odds are he'll survive the next 9 months, hopefully without further incidents like this week's.

4:49 pm  
Blogger Fiona said...

Crikey, that's awful. Hope he can face the last 9 months Ok - would be terrible if his pension was affected. Hugs to you too - a huge worry for you.

5:12 pm  
Blogger Kat said...

Oh goodness, hun! So sorry to hear that!!! Hope everything will be ok... you didn't tell me earlier today ...

And I totally understand your point - I wish "Papa Staat" would give back more to his hard working people who do their best to keep those baddies away!

HUGS!!!

2:21 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home