Monday, January 26, 2009

Tribal weekend

This weekend had a bit of a tribal bellydance theme as it was Tribalondon. It was my first time at the event and I am already looking forward to next year when I can do more workshops!

Friday evening's treat was a workshop with the wonderful Sharon Kihara. It was two hours of stretching, conditioning and beginning to work on core isolations, which built on the material in her DVD. She is even more gorgeous in real-life and her teaching style is fun and friendly. I loved that she uses terms like "cat-barf" and "gooey" to describe moves, as they just fit perfectly.

On Saturday, Graeme and I planned to visit the Rothko enhibition at Tate Modern. However, when we got there tickets had sold out until 5.30 in the afternoon. It wasn't a wasted day though, as we went for a wander along past the Globe and encountered some parts of southbank that we hadn't seen before. We discovered the Clink Street Prison Museum - on the site of London's oldest prison. Hence the term "in the clink"! We also found the Golden Hinde tucked away next to a Cafe Nero (how convenient). It's rather nice when interesting things happen out of disappointment!

Then, it was off for a Vietnamese meal on Kingsland Road. I observed that there are many vietnamese restaurants on the way to and from my ATS class. It turns out Kingsland Road is the best area for vietnamese food in London, so Graeme and I took advantage of being in the area to try some out. It was very good and wonderfully cheap too. We had two courses and two drinks all for under £30!

The day finished with the Tribalondon show, which was excellent. The first half was slightly hit and miss with some performances much better than others. However, I think that was a lot more to do with personal taste than lack of talent as all the dancers were fantastic. The second half was soooo good though. The tribal section of the Bellydance Superstars put on such a good show and there was a good level of variety between the different dances. I came home determined to get practising more (as usual)!

Sunday was a bit of an odd day. Graeme went off to his study group as usual, so I pootled about at home in the morning. We had booked tickets to go to the Babylon exhibition at the British Museum for later in the afternoon. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived at the Museum I had an awful migraine and my vision was coming and going. The Museum were lovely about it and changed the tickets to next weekend, so there was nothing for it except home to bed. I was fine after some nurofen and a nap thankfully. I even managed to watch "Ratatouille" in the evening, which cheered us both up!

The last few weekends have been really good actually. I think there's a lot to be said about doing loads of things and feeling like you've achieved something!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Hope weather was good for Tribal Weekend, hun - taken photos??

Sorry about your migraine ... wonder if it's to do with the weather as I've had migraine last week and today again, and one of my colleagues was off with an attack today as well...

Did you find the new floating statue on the Thames? The polar bear & cub one? Seen it in the metro today.

7:36 pm  
Blogger Heather said...

"It's rather nice when interesting things happen out of disappointment!" - the joy of serendipity!

Sounds a great weekend. Reminds me of my fun times in London. :)

12:51 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home