Sunday, January 21, 2007

It's snowdrop time again!

Spring is on it's way! I saw my first snowdrops of 2007 in Graeme's parents' garden this morning. Loads of them as well :o) I can't help but think they are a little early this year, but with the mild winter we've had, I am not surprised. Graeme's mum gave me some in a little pot to put outside our flat, which means we really will have to sort the garden now!

We had a lovely weekend out in Bedfordshire. Graeme's parents and his brother all have their birthday in January, so we were going out for dinner last night to celebrate. We went to a lovely restaurant called the "Knife and Cleaver" in Houghton Conquest (why do Bedfordshire towns have the most amazing names?!). The food was fantastic and we all had a lovely evening.

Today we went for a walk to Ampthill Park. It was a beautiful, sunny day with blue skies but the most terrible chilling wind. I thought my ears were going to fall off at one point! It was just as well I remembered my hat :o) The park is really beautiful with little copses of trees and a lake. We even saw a little deer bounding through the undergrowth!

The park was the site of a castle during the reign of Henry VIII. It was the place where Katherine of Aragon was effectively imprisoned until her marriage was annulled. From there, she was sent to Kimbolton Castle, where she died some years later. Now, on the spot where Ampthill Castle stood, there is a cross to commemorate the memory of the poor woman.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Houghton Conquest - what a great name!

11:14 pm  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Had to say Hi to you on your blog - as it was picked up by a google alert I have set for 'Ampthill'. I see you are into papercrafting too!

11:31 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home