Thursday, February 18, 2010

Dance musings: the year ahead

This post is a little belated given that it's two months into 2010, but nevermind! 2009 was a good year for me dance-wise. I was lucky enough to dance with some amazing teachers (Sharon Kihara, Yasmina of Cairo, Lorna Gow and Paulette Rees-Denis spring to mind), try some new stuff (veil fans and fire props - not at the same time, I hasten to add) and just generally start to build some confidence in my dancing ability.

This year, I really want to work towards performing more. Not solo stuff but small group choreographies and ATS style improv. This means making much more effort to practise. It also means getting some serious costuming together. I've decided to allow myself one bellydance treat a month (possibly more in March when I'm at Majma!) and so far, I have bought myself some lovely new zils and a red 25 yard skirt. I'm concentrating on ATS costuming at the moment, as I think a trip to Cairo is needed to get a proper egyptian costume!

On that note, I've started Egyptian classes again after a year break, which I am thoroughly enjoying. We're working on a latin-bellydance fusion choreography that's great fun. My teacher, Krystina, is such an excellent choreographer! She really knows how to add extra dimension to large group dances.

So, my dance goals for 2010 are:
  • to sharpen technique and develop more muscle strength through stretching etc
  • to get some lovely costuming together
  • to attend as many events as I can
  • to invest in a lovely balanced sword (this is the one I am most excited about!)
  • to have loads of fun!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Ooooh... sounds like you'll have a fab year, hun! Can't wait to see the costumes ... and eventually I'll see you perform, too!!! ;)

6:52 pm  
Blogger Alicia Foodycat said...

I hope I'll get to see the skirt at Majma!

And a sword! Wow! They had some really lovely ones at the Majma souk last year.

4:06 pm  
Anonymous paulette rees-denis said...

Thankyou,
And I hope to see you at Majma!

Paulette
www.tribalbellydanceblog.com

3:26 am  
Blogger honeyclarck said...

My all prayers are with you that you see at Majma. For more detail about Majma visit http://www.examsheets.me/

9:37 am  
Anonymous Brain Dumps said...

Great information you have shared, i really enjoyed reading your article, keep it up.

10:37 am  
Anonymous MSC Cruceros said...

Good Site! I wondered if I would be able site some of your site and use a handful of items for a school assignment. Please let me know through email whether that would be fine. Thanks

10:32 am  
Blogger J and A said...

Nice blog! Keep up the great work.
http://jujubellee.blogspot.com/

10:57 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home