Wednesday, December 09, 2009

52 books in 48 weeks

In January I set myself the target of reading 52 fiction books in 52 weeks. I was counting up the list in my diary a few nights ago and realised I reached my target around the end of November - hoorah!

My favourites from the 52:
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
  • The Colour Purple - Alice Walker
  • Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
  • The Horse Whisperer - Nicholas Evans
Disappointments:
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay (yes, a TV series can be better than a book)
  • The "Twilight" series of novels - Stephanie Meyer ("Twilight" itself is good but by the time I got to "Breaking Dawn" I didn't really like any of the characters anymore. I still don't get how a relationship based on so much manipulation can be viewed as healthy, let alone a positive example for young adults)
My favourite non-fiction (not counted in the 52):
  • Bonk: the curious coupling of sex and science - Mary Roach
  • The Covent Garden Ladies - Hallie Rubenhold
  • Courtesans - Katie Hickman
So, on with the next 52!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Alicia Foodycat said...

How funny - I had that goal too! But since I gave up the free papers on the Tube I have been reading so much more. Didn't the Dexter books suck? I admire that the screenwriters were able to see through them to the brilliant concept and make it SO much better.

10:51 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home